1. Crazy game. We saw one of the wildest first halves of football in NFL history as the Texans raced to a 24-0 lead and had Twitter buzzing not only about a Houston/Tennessee AFC title game but how Andy Reid was choking again in the playoffs. Then the Chiefs came back with 34 points in a row and ran out to a 51-31 win. The game had a little bit of everything: big plays, good and bad special teams play, terrible coaching decisions (more on that later) and of course, Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs’ high-powered offense (and the defense) coming to life.
2. The Second Quarter Explosion. Three touchdowns in three and a half minutes helped the Chiefs escape a 24-0 deficit and lead 28-24 at halftime.
28 straight points.
4 first-half touchdown passes.
— NFL (@NFL) January 12, 2020
3. Houston’s disastrous ‘Don’t Gamble, Then Gamble’ decision. With the score 21-0 and a fourth and one, the Texans decided to play it safe and kick the field goal. Later, up 24-7, Bill O’Brien went for a fake punt on fourth down and it failed, leading to another Chiefs score. Those two decisions arguably changed the momentum of the game.
4. Twitter crushed Bill O’Brien. The Houston head coach has been criticised in the past for his in-game decisions. He gave them more ammunition today.
They just went all halftime without discussing Bill O'Brien's incompetence. It's like everyone is unaware of the decisions that changed this game.
— Jason Whitlock (@WhitlockJason) January 12, 2020
Let’s waive the 5-year waiting period and induct Bill O’Brien’s 2nd quarter into the Bad Coaching Hall of Fame, pantheon wing, with his bust covered in gold and vomit.
— Bill Simmons (@BillSimmons) January 12, 2020
Bill O’Brien starring in All The Wrong Moves on fourth down.
— Pat Forde (@ByPatForde) January 12, 2020
5. Thanks Miami! The Super Bowl is in Miami and if the Chiefs make it, they owe the Dolphins a debt of gratitude for their Week 17 defeat of New England that handed Kansas City the #2 seed. Ironically, if the Patriots had won that game, the Chiefs and Titans would have met on Wild Card weekend. Now they’re playing for the AFC title.