Twitter can be a torrid old place nowadays.
No one is safe from Russian bots, Trump’s MAGA army, and perpetually angry middle-aged men with an egg as their profile picture. In these dire times, however, the popular platform can (sometimes) be a place to actually enjoy yourself. While the screaming Essendon fans who insist the drugs saga was an Illuminati conspiracy may suggest otherwise, sport is meant to be fun, and funny sport is even…funner.
We’ve compiled a list of the 10 most amusing tweets of 2018. The list is definitive, and correct. Don’t @ me.
10. Giant Jeremy Cameron gave away a 50m penalty this season for throwing an opposition boot away, but this tops it
Forget Neymar crying. We have a brand new contender for the Balon d’Shithousery pic.twitter.com/ISfuoTI8PW
— Elliot Hackney (@ElliotHackney) September 2, 2018
9. Pat Cummins doing some nice work on the socials
When you lose credit card Roulette at dinner… https://t.co/FR6GnCUJ2A
— Pat Cummins (@patcummins30) November 9, 2018
8. ‘The MRP assesses each case impartially and independently’
A lot of people comparing the Dustin Martin umpire incident with the Ed Curnow one. If you study the tape though, you can see from most angles that Dusty has won a Premiership and a Brownlow Medal.
— Titus O'Reily (@TitusOReily) June 18, 2018
7. ‘Boring James Milner’ telling it like it is after two howlers from the Liverpool shot-stopper cost their side the Champions League title
Loris Karius blames himself for the defeat. I said Well it was your fault Loris, you've cost us the game.
— Boring James Milner (@BoringMilner) May 26, 2018
6. You know those impressive banners that European football fans pull over their heads before kickoff? One spectator was having none of it
Can’t miss the players entering the pitch pic.twitter.com/RLhs8ujGha
— Tom Meredith (@meredithlcfc) August 18, 2018
5. All-round good guy Dylan Alcott doesn’t get the US furore around anthem-kneeling
I sit down during anthems all the time and no one pulls me up on it. Don’t see what the fuss is about
— Dylan Alcott (@DylanAlcott) September 14, 2018
4. Acclaimed cricket commentator (and usually respectful) Jonathan Agnew telling Piers Morgan what everyone was thinking…
So funny knowing Cook couldn’t give a flying f*** https://t.co/Pn0FKJFhkc
— Jonathan Agnew (@Aggerscricket) September 10, 2018
3. England and Newcastle United legend Alan Shearer uncannily depicted on this man’s back…
Class man hahahahaha pic.twitter.com/E3BwdHasij
— BRI-SAFC (@safcking) October 6, 2018
2. The Grade Cricketer summing up why we hate the game we hate
You shouldn’t be nervous this many times in a sport.
Bowler runs in: you’re nervous.
Standing in slips: nervous.
Waiting to bat: nervous.
Under a high ball: nervous.
Tasting cordial ratios: nervous.
Someone’s sister comes to the game: nervous.
— The Grade Cricketer (@gradecricketer) September 20, 2018
1. And the winner is Fox Sports Brasil’s take on Germany’s 2-0 defeat to South Korea, which bundled them out of the World Cup. The 7-1 result in 2014 may have still been fresh in the memory…
— FOX Sports Brasil (@FoxSportsBrasil) June 27, 2018