Group H had the distinction of seeing the first team eliminated by FIFA’s Fair Play tiebreaker. Senegal’s yellow card total saw it sent home, while Japan and Colombia moved on.
In Group G, England and Belgium played out a strange cat-and-mouse game which eventually saw the Belgians finish first thanks to a 1-0 win. Tunisia beat Panama to end up third.
Advancing: Belgium, England, Colombia, Japan
Sportsbet Pre-tournament prediction: Belgium, England, Colombia, Poland
Group G & H Wrap
(1) Colombia overcoming a bad start to win Group H.
(2) Belgium finishing unbeaten in Group G with a sweet Adnan Januzaj goal and a very funny off-the-post ‘falcon’ celebration by Michy Batshuayi
No hard feelings 💕 https://t.co/mWm5ELqAbk
— Michy Batshuayi (@mbatshuayi) June 28, 2018
(3) Japan doing Asia proud and making it to the Round of 16.
(1) Japan keeping their loyal fans on edge by conceding a goal, then having to play for the draw and hope that Senegal didn’t score.
#Japan’s #WorldCup team advancing on *fair play* points after that unfair and unsportsman-like performance at the end of today’s match — basically refusing to play — is sheer irony. What a cynical move by Japan. Hard not to feel for #Senegal #JPNPOL
— Hiroko Tabuchi (@HirokoTabuchi) June 28, 2018
(2) England’s performance against Belgium was a bizarre combination of changed lineups, missed shots and looking ahead.
— Sportsbet.com.au (@sportsbetcomau) June 28, 2018
(3) Panama: the ultimate ‘just happy to be here’ story.
(1) Colombian defender Yerry Mina scoring in two consecutive games.
YERRY MINA DOES IT AGAIN!!
— TSN (@TSN_Sports) June 28, 2018
(2) Tunisia going out with a win, their first in 40 years.
(3) Carlos Valderrama, the anti-Maradona.
(1) James Rodriguez hardly at his best, and now injured and in doubt for the Round of 16.
(2) Not sure what was worse, Senegal being eliminated on the Fair Play rule or their shocking defending:
Before the Colombia goal, this Senegal defender appeared to be waiting for a train at a station pic.twitter.com/4cPBO1L9YU
— Saddick Adams Obama (@SaddickAdams) June 28, 2018
(3) Not getting to see Harry Kane in that final group game.